Tuesday, 1 June 2010

New Challenge - New Gear Shopping Excuse!

OK - so what kit can I buy do I need for the OMM. Lets get one thing straight - I'm not buying anything until I know we have a place! (OK - we'll come to the new trousers in a minute!)

There is an excellent guide on Planet Fear which I lost myself in for a while!

I have a good set of kit for lightweight camping, but the OMM is hyper lightweight, so time to take stock.


I am ok for:

  • Tent - Terra Nova Laser.  Sleeps 2 (at a pinch) and Pete and I are both under 5'6.
  • Rucksack - My Osprey Talon 33 is a bit heavier than a specialist sack (870g  v 775g for an OMM Classic Marathon 32), but should be fine.  I have read reviews of other people running with them and it hugs the back nicely.
  • Basic camping gear - I have a lightweight gas stove, a lightish pan and even some folding cups - all good enough.
  • Sleeping Mat - The Prolite 3 is small and light enough, even if it not as light and small as some balloon beds and the like.
  • Running clothes - I have most of what I need, apart from waterproofs (see below). Running tights, baselayers, tops - all good.
But I will need some stuff (and this is where the amazing flights of self justification come in....):
  • Sleeping bag - mine are either too thin (Snugpak Travelpak Lite) or too big (Nanok Comfort -10).  So I'll need a new lightweight 3 season down bag. (I needed one anyway - honest!)  Budget: £150?
  • Waterproof top - I need a new top anyway (see the justification creeping in there!), and I'll need something very lightweight but OMM approved.  What better than OMM's own Kamleika jacket? I was intrigued to read about how what is effectively a thin soft shell can be completely waterproof and breathable, but the blogs rave about it.  The new 2009 version is a bit roomier than the older one, which means I could use it as a lightweight summer jacket too. Budget £110 (if I find one in a sale!)
  • Waterproof trousers - the Kamleika trousers seemed to fit the bill.  I saw a pair on eBay for £38, instead of £90ish.  They were last year's style, but I bought them anyway!  They are a great success.  They fit perfectly, and are about as close as you could get to a pair of waterproof Ronhill tights.  I've worn them once so far, for a 7 mile run in warm drizzle, and they were great.  Hardly any perspiration inside and not at all clammy or clingy on bare legs. Budget: £40.
  • Shoes - I will definitely need some different shoes.  Currently thinking about Inov8 Rockclaws, but I'll have to try a few pairs on before I decide. Budget: £75.
All in all that adds up to £375! Hmm.  But it will all be good kit that I needed anyway.  Apart from maybe the shoes.

Damn.  May have to do more mountain marathons!


No comments:

Post a Comment