Wednesday, 4 September 2013

Man vs Mountain has arrived, and I'm a little scared!



A few months ago my brother Pete and I signed up for Man vs Mountain, and it has been a focus of my training ever since.  The event is now only a few days ago and I have to confess to feeling a little daunted by the challenge.


The race itself (though "race" suggests the aim will be winning rather than finishing) is big. Its 20 miles include:
  • 13 miles from Caernarfon to Snowdon (with 1300m of climb), 
  • 5 miles back down to Llanberis
  • 2 miles playing around in the quarries (starting with a steep 1km climb, then abseiling, steep descent an several challenges involving jumping into deep water!), then a swim across the river for the final obstacle!

At this eleventh hour I have a niggling feeling that we may have bitten off more than we can chew, as it is a harder challenge that either of us has ever done. Of course, we persuaded ourselves that it would be ok, and told ourselves:
  • it was free (we got a free entry following the cancellation of Horseplay)
  • it will be a good warmup for the OMM
  • it will be a laugh
  • it is a harder challenge that either of us has ever done!
On the other hand, the half of me that isn't nervous is feeling good! I'm fit, free from injury and training has gone well.

I didn't manage to keep up with the suggested training programme, mainly because long weekend runs were disrupted by DofE and family things. Living in Hampshire means that I haven't managed as much hill work as I should have. But I managed some good long runs (13, 15 miles) and Pete and I got in a long and very hilly run along the North Devon Coast Path to round off the training.

As a result, I am fitter than I have ever been in my life, which I guess is quite a claim for a 55 year old! I ran 9 miles yesterday without even noticing.

This week is a a quiet preparation week. A gentle mid week run to keep things moving, but otherwise just passing time until the weekend.

A little daunted, yes. But excited and invigorated by the challenge of the hardest thing I have ever attempted.

No comments:

Post a Comment