Four weeks to go now. So how is the training going?
Well it is going ok, but not quite keeping up to the plan I had put together. I have been managing 4 runs a week, and running on both Saturday and Sunday, but not quite as far as I'd intended. Life has been getting in the way, as well as a general weariness which I can't shake off. (Partly due, no doubt, to all the running!)
Last weekend I managed a few fast miles on Saturday, and then 10 miles on Sunday. It felt hard with the pack on, but I slogged my way round. I hadn't managed the 20 mile weekend, but managed to squeeze in another hilly 6 miles on Monday to make up.
During the week I set out to do some hill starts on my small local hill, but didn't manage as many s I'd hoped, but combined them with a four mile run. This weekend I managed 30 minutes of hard running yesterday (looking after my elderly parents curtailed opportunities), including a gruelling run along the shingle beach.
And then today I managed 12.75 miles,with hills and a pack. I was feeling tired after 3 miles, and didn't think I would ever make the 12 mile target I had set myself. But I slogged on, and couple of 5 minute rests (and some Chia Charge flapjack, which will certainly feature on the OMM) restored me when things got too heavy. In the end I managed the distance in 2h20, or 11 minute miles. Slower than my usual speed, but the pack (8.5kg) made a big difference.
I'm happy with that. On the OMM we'll probably cover 15 - 20 miles each day, but they'll be spread over longer times, and some of it we will walk,so being able to run 13 cross country miles with a realistic pack weight is a great confidence builder.
Next week's plan is more of the same, hopefully with another long run on Sunday. (Saturday is a big family birthday party, and I won't be able to get out for more than a short run.)
Wish me luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment