Sunday, 10 March 2013

Horseplay Approaches ...

It's been a while since I have posted here, partly because I have had another bout of calf injury, and that just depresses me, and I don't really feel like posting when I'm just going to be gloomy! But having (as far as I can tell!) got over that, I can get back to setting down what's been going on in my small running world.

The big thing that has kept me going is Horseplay.



This is the brilliant race, run by the RatRace people that combines a horse cross country course and obstacles, woods, hills, mud and darkness! Pete and I have run it twice before (see here) and are determined to improve our time and places this year (although we didn't do at all badly last year!)  To spice up the competition this year I have invited a few people from the village. Fiona and Alison are long time runners from Kath's pack, and Roger is a bit more of a beginner. The spice comes from my feeling that I'm buggered if I'm going to let Alison beat me!

My training has been going well (apart from the small matter of a pulled calf three weeks ago!). Crucially, I have been losing weight since Christmas and I am a full stone lighter than I was for last year's race.  That alone should help, but I have also been training hard, especially on hills to avoid holding Pete up like I did last year.  That said, he has been training hard too (including using a personal trainer!) so he is probably still ahead of me.

The desire to beat Alison and Fiona drives me too! On my side I have:

  • I know the course
  • I am used to running in the mud
  • I generally run off road
  • I have been hill training
On the other hand:
  • Alison is very fit
  • She runs much more than me
  • She is a determined, driven runner
  • She is 10+ years younger than me!
So it should be a fun evening out! 

12 days to go. 

1h21m (and Alison) to beat!


No comments:

Post a Comment