Monday, 3 October 2011

Stop and Go and Stop and .....

I haven't posted anything here for a bit.  That's because my training has resumed its up and down trajectory and for the last few weeks I have been Down! In my last post I said how I was getting stronger and the training was coming on well after recovery from calf strains and other pains.  It was all Go!

Well it went well for a while and then I set out for a short fast run one evening. All felt fine while I was out, but by the following morning I could hardly put any weight on my right foot without the Achilles tendon screaming at me.  Stop!!

Running hasn't been possible for the last few weeks. So here I am - 4 weeks from the event, not running!   I have been cycling and was out all last weekend walking, so I am not completely without exercise, but it can't be the best way to prepare!

My biggest fear was that I'd start running again and find that I injured my Achilles too much to even take part. So I went to see Michaela last Friday for some advice and physio. She poked and massaged (and found tender spots that I didn't even know I had!) and ultrasounded and generally physioed. To my relief she reckoned that the Achilles is on the mend and recommended calf lifts (lots - 2 sessions a day or 3 x 20 lifts on each leg, ideally with a 10 kg pack on my back!) and some stretches to help the recovery.  

So the plan now is to gently introduce some running over the next few weeks, but not rushing back up to 10+ miles. This will be combined with some cycling and some sessions in the gym (multi trainer) to get my aerobic fitness back up ready for the big day.

Go! .. but slowly....




No comments:

Post a Comment