Saturday, 15 October 2011

... and slowly start again...

It's two weeks to the event. It should be time to start to ease of the training and taper down the effort as the big day approaches.... but....

Before today I haven't run for a couple of weeks. My last run of four miles or so left me with an aching Achilles Tendon for a few days and I have been scared to death that if I run hard on it, I will end up with a severe injury and won't be able to complete the event.

So the last few weeks have been a combination of calf lifts (120 a day on each leg) and wherever I could, trips to the gym to work out on a cross trainer, which has hopefully been helping exercise my legs and breathing without the impact on my Achilles.

It seems to be working. Today I put on my Salomons for the first time in months and gingerly took myself off for a 2.5 mile run through the woods.  And it all feels fine.  Right calf is a little tight, but no Achilles pain.  I thought I'd run slowly, but when I measured it at home I was doing 9 minute miles, and it felt smooth and easy.

OK - I know it was only 2.5 miles, but it is a good (re)start.  I shan't be able to get much meaningful running in before the event, and will have to rely on the fitness I built up in the summer, but at least it is looking more hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment