Another successful run today, which I hope means that the Achilles injury is behind me. That said, I am clearly out of practice as I set off far too fast, doing the first three miles as under 9 minutes miles, but then suffered for the next three miles, and had to walk a few times on the return leg. The fast running felt good though. I will ease back for the next few runs and try to stick to 9'30" miles to regain the distance, and then focus on speed again, with some farting.
The realisation was that I worked out why I suddenly got injured. It is obvious in hindsight. I realised that I had gone from 9 - 12 mile weeks to 20 - 24 mile weeks at one step. I was just building up too fast. Weakened Achilles tendon from the extra strain and then a steep ankle testing climb in the mountains and I was, unsurprisingly with hindsight, broken. There's a lesson there!
No pain (apart from the odd general calf twinge from starting running after 6 weeks off), but I shall keep up with the calf lifts to keep the calves and ankles strong.
No comments:
Post a Comment