I was about to write "I'm back" as the title to this post, but then remembered I'd used that same title back in September in similar circumstances. Like then I have just managed my first reasonable run for weeks after an injury. Last time it was my left calf. This time my right Achilles tendon.
Annoyingly I did it walking not running. A weekend in North Wales, and we walked up Glyder Fawr through Devil's Kitchen. Not a long walk, but a long hard climb. The next day I was hobbling with painful Achilles tendons. I'm not sure what caused it, as I thought my calves and Achilles were in good shape after training for Horseplay and generally running a lot. I had traced this before to dehydration, and maybe that had something to do with it.
This used to happen in my youth, and I assumed it would go away. But it has taken five weeks to get rid of the pain in my right tendon. I thought it had gone a couple of weeks ago and tried a 1 mile practice run. No problem and no pain, so I tried a 3 miles run a few days later. Felt fine at the time, but within hours it was clear I had undone all the work of weeks of rest and calf lifts and stretches by pushing it too hard.
I have been introducing the running more slowly this time, half a mile, a mile, mile and a half, a mile. Today, after no pain at all for 10 days, I gingerly ran 4.5, and hope I haven't overdone it.
So far so good! I have a race in three weeks!
No comments:
Post a Comment