Friday, 27 May 2011

Ups and Downs

My last post talked about recovery from Achilles strain.  But my running seems peppered with ups and downs....

My Achilles was better, and my new Inov-8 Rocklites arrived. 2 weeks to go before the Trialblazer race in the Forest of Dean. Time for some training.



I set off to do the Weston Colley loop (2.75 miles on the road and a couple of hills) and the new shoes felt good. Very light and the thinner, less padded soles give you a good feel of the road as your foot touches down.  Pleased with myself I ran hard, up the hill and back down. Up the next hill and still going well. I got home and checked my pace. 8'15" miles! I never run that fast.  I was sweating and breathing hard, but felt ok. Very pleased with myself I set off to do another mile with Lizzie.

But as we headed up the field my left calf started to twinge, and after a mile it was hurting a lot....

I'd done it again. A repeat of last year! Pushing too hard in new (low profile) shoes, even though the Inov-8 brochure warns about easing yourself into running in them to avoid calf strains.

As it happens it all turned out not too bad. I rested my calf and didn't run again until the Thursday before the Sunday Trailblazer. Just a mile and a half to check the calf was ok.  No problems, but no real training either, so I was a little nervous that although I was uninjured and I'd be able to run the Trailblazer, I'd be too unfit to keep up with my brother!

No comments:

Post a Comment