Thursday, 29 July 2010

Barefoot Running - An Exploratory Experiment

I have been reading a bit more about running barefoot, and decided this afternoon to give it a try.

I jogged down to the park in my usual shoes (I started barefoot, but soon discovered how many sharp stones there were on the lane!) Once I was there, I took my shoes off (and placed them carefully side by side on the touchline of the football pitch) and jogged the length of the pitch.   As I got used to it, I tried to keep my back straight and chin up, kick my heels up and stay light.

It felt very light and natural.  I didn't seem to be bobbing up and down as much as I normally do, and my feet felt fine.  I carried on and did about 1400m barefoot, and decided that that was probably enough for a quick first trial.

I put my shoes back on again for a final lap, and immediately felt the difference. I could clearly feel that I was hitting the ground harder, and I was bouncing up and down more.  Walking home I could feel the tension in my calves, suggesting that they had had a good workout.  In fact I jogged the last few hundred yards, but stopped with a sharp pain in my left calf, and stopped and walked again.  It looks like 1400m was far enough.

An interesting experiment.  I shall do some more!

==================================
PS - I wrote that a few days ago.  In the days following my run I had very tight calves, despite a lot of stretching.  Maybe 500m next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment