Sunday, 13 April 2014

Keep on Running


It's been a good week for running and training. Over 47 miles and some good strong outings.


I had been a bit worried about my slight groin strain, and although I had hoped a few days of walking on Dartmoor would help it, a few jumps from tussock to tussock on the wet moor had produced sharp stabs of pain which suggested that I was doing it more harm than good. So I went out for my 5x50 run on Monday evening with a little trepidation. The pain was there as I started off, but faded after a few paces to a dull ache, and was completely gone within half a mile. I limited myself to a steady 4 miles that day, but all felt ok when I got back .... except for a slight strain in my right calf, which brought back memories.

Lots of stretching and poking, and I set off again the next day with even more trepidation! I promised myself that at the slightest sign of pain in my calf I would stop and walk home.  I really can't afford a serious injury now! But actually the run went fine, with no pain, and the next few days brought runs increasing from 5 miles to a couple of 8 miles runs on Friday and Saturday.

Then this morning I was up early and out in the spring sunshine. The woods are looking beautiful, with lots of new greenery and the first showing of bluebells colouring the woodland floor. I did over 11 miles and came home feeling strong and ready to go out again, had time and family allowed.

While the groin pain and the calf pain are still there if I provoke them (I am doing some gentle groin stretches to ease the injury out) they aren't causing me any real problem.  But the mileage is taking its toll, and my legs and hips feel genuinely used and stiff.

I am running every day, which is as required by 5x50, and I think that is a good idea to get me ready for the run. I'm generally doing 6-7 miles a day, and would like to stretch that to 8 or 9, and maybe do two runs a day, pushing the distance and making it more like the challenge of the BWT. I haven't been using a pack this week, partly to save the groin and calf strains, but will start doing so again next week, again to get my body acclimatised to the conditions.


Oh - for the soundtrack to this week's post, click here!


No comments:

Post a Comment