Trips to see Michaela had settled into an annoying pattern. Get close to a race. Overtrain. Go and see Michaela so she can do some magic. Get massaged and ultrasounded and stretched. Do the exercises recommended. Recover in time for the race.
This year I thought I'd broken the cycle, but no. This year I had left it very late to get injured, and I must confess that as I pulled into Michaela's drive this afternoon, only eight days before a race, I wasn't that optimistic about the chance of success. But within a few seconds of getting into her treatment room, her optimism was infectious and everything seemed possible again.
The strain is exactly where the last one was that Michaela treated - in the middle of my right calf. As she massaged and stroked the news was good. Stopping running immediately it happened had prevented further damage, and the injury wasn't too bad. She eased out the swelling and applied some ultrasound for good measure.
Then she taped me up with some pretty blue tape and gave me more for next week and for the race itself.
We talked about stretches and exercise. Some lifts starting in a few days time to help the muscles recover. She also recommended trying some calf compression tights. (I have ordered some Skins from Amazon this evening)
Aside from dealing with the immediate problem, she suggested that one reason for the injures may be that my glutes are a bit weak, especially on the right. She gave me a compression band and showed me some exercises. They won't help with next weekend, but maybe over the winter I'll get the chance to strengthen and tighten my bum muscles and avoid next year's appointment!
All in all I am feeling much more optimistic this evening that I will get round the weekend without too much pain.
Fingers crossed!
No comments:
Post a Comment