Saturday, 19 January 2013

Let it snow!

It snowed for most of the morning yesterday, and just before dusk I pulled on my new Rab top (thanks Pete) and my sealskin waterproof socks and set out for a chilly run around the fields. It was gorgeous.  The snow on the trees made the familiar unfamiliar, the thickets seemed more open and the coppiced woods were magical. Everything was quiet and I was running on untouched snow. Leaving the woods I spooked a couple of deer out in the field about 30 yards away.  I wish I'd known they were there, as it would have been a lovely chance to watch them, but they bounded off across the wide field, and I followed suit, foregoing the usual path round the edges and heading straight across the wide expanse of whiteness. The snow crunched and squeaked under my soles as I ran across the uneven ground, lumps and bumps hidden by the snow, making running a bit awkward but a fun challenge. Rejoining the main path I powered up the hill feeling good., and turned for home across deserted crepuscular fields.

Not a long run (2.6 miles) or a fast one (28 minutes) but it was lovely to be out and about. My calf is showing now signs of pain, so I seem to be on the mend (again!). That was my third short run in five days, and I feel the training for Horseplay (9 weeks today!)  can really get going now.

No comments:

Post a Comment